Hilary Hinton “Zig” Ziglar (born 6 November 1926) is an American author, salesman, and motivational speaker. He has published over 48 works, including the 2007 book titled God’s Way Is Still the Best Way.
Zig Ziglar was born in Coffee County, Alabama to parents John Silas Ziglar and Viola Ziglar. He was the tenth of twelve children.
In 1931, when Ziglar was five years old, his father took a management position at a Mississippi farm, and his family moved to Yazoo City, Mississippi, where he spent most of his early childhood. In 1932, his father died of a stroke, and his younger sister died two days later.
Ziglar served in the Navy during World War II (circa 1943 to 1945). He was in the Navy Navy College Training Program, attending the University of South Carolina.
On September 15, 1944, he met his wife, Jean, at the YWCA in Jackson, Mississippi when he was 17 and she was 16; they married in late 1946.
Ziglar later worked as a salesman in a succession of companies. In 1968 he became a vice president and training director for the Automotive Performance company, moving to Dallas, Texas.
In 1970 Ziglar went into the business of motivational speaking full-time, with an emphasis on Christian values. Until then he had called himself by his given name, Hilary, but now started using his nickname, Zig, instead
As of 2010 Ziglar still travels around taking part in motivational seminars, despite a fall down a flight of stairs in 2007 that left him with short-term memory problems.
Ziglar, Zig (1985). Raising Positive Kids in a Negative World. Nashville: Oliver Nelson.
Ziglar, Zig (1975). See You at the Top. Gretna:
Ziglar, Zig (1982). Zig Ziglar’s Secrets of Closing the Sale. New York: Berkley Books.
- Ziglar, Zig (1986). Top Performance: How to Develop Excellence in Yourself and Others. New York: Berkley Books.
- Ziglar, Zig (1994). Over the Top. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.
- Ziglar, Zig (1998). Success for Dummies. Foster City, Calif: IDG Books.
- Ziglar, Zig (2003). Selling 101: What Every Successful Sales Professional Needs to Know. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.
- Ziglar, Zig (2006). Better Than Good: Creating a Life You Can’t Wait to Live. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.
- Ziglar, Zig; Norman, Julie Ziglar (2009). Embrace the Struggle: Living Life on Life’s Terms. New York: Howard Books.